1) CHECK OUT TIME IS EIGHTEEN- When you grow up, move out. If you’re old enough to be drafted and die for your country then you’re old enough to take care of yourself. Don’t deceive yourself with some emotional plea that you need more time to mature. You knew this day was coming your entire life, you should have been ready. If you’re not ready it’s your own fault, now it’s time for the school of hard knocks to kick in and I love you enough to send you to that school. Your Mother and your Father moved out when they turned 18, your Grandfather moved out, went to college and then fought the Germans in World War 2. I think you can handle living on your own if you’ll just give yourself a chance, believe in yourself, and remember your heritage.
2) GET A JOB AND WORK HARD- Nobody respects a lazy man so respect yourself and work hard. Get an honest job that pays you an honest wage, not under the table. Nobody likes to pay taxes but it’s unpatriotic to let your fellow Americans carry the weight of the tax burden while you cheat the system. Show up early to work. If the work day starts at 8am then you should be there beforehand and be ready to be productive when the time comes. Turn off your damned cell phone. Work time is a time to work, not a time to carry on your personal business. Do your very best, remembering that since we all have the same last name, everything you do reflects on all of us.
3) PAY YOUR OWN WAY- One of the greatest satisfactions in life is to be able to pay your own way. Don’t defraud yourself of that pleasure by looking to others to pay your bills, that is shameful. It’s not the government’s job to take care of you. It’s not your family’s job to take care of you. It’s not your girlfriend’s job to take care of you. You are a man, it’s your job and your job only to take care of you, so help you God.
4) LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS- Pay what you owe so you know what you own. When you get paid, honor God with an offering and then pay your bills first. If there isn’t any money left over then there isn’t any money to play with, it’s that simple. Do not go into debt to fund your fun. There will be times when you will need to incur debt. Never become comfortable wearing the banker’s noose though. They will be willing to lend you all the rope you need to put yourself into bondage to them. If you do not heed my advice then you will become a slave to the lenders and spend your entire life making them rich at your expense.
5) BE GENEROUS- You must shake off the American insanity that afflicts your generation, thinking that you are poor and in need. You live in one of the wealthiest countries on the face of the earth. If you make more than $850 per year then you are one of the top 50% wealthiest people in the world. If you allow yourself to be deceived into thinking that you are poor then you will not be generous. Remember how blessed you are and share with those who are TRULY in need. There is a hurting world out there and a small financial sacrifice can go a very long way. However, beware of the leeches, they will use and abuse your charity until your heart becomes callous and cold.
6) BE A REAL MAN- Women are not sex toys regardless of what your culture teaches. Women are special humans with hearts that can be horribly hurt if you aren’t careful. They weren’t created for your selfish use and abuse. Find a good woman and give her your heart for life. Respect her by being gentle, patient and understanding. Never mock her for her sensitive heart or her unique perspective of reality. She is wonderfully made by her Creator and has been endowed with a special ability to see and feel things that you cannot. Be wise and listen to her counsel. Never ever use your superior physical strength as a weapon of intimidation and manipulation. Be humble and learn to compromise. In time you will mature and come to respect her different strength and wisdom.
7) KEEP YOUR PROMISES- Should you choose to marry one day, take special heed to the vows you take. Words are easy to speak, living them out is not. Never tell a lie unless you need to do so in order to save a life. In your day-to-day life, when you make a commitment, keep it. “I’ll meet you at your house at 8:30pm” does NOT mean 8:45pm or 9 o’clock. Every time you break a promise, no matter how small, you damage your integrity. It takes a lifetime to build integrity but only a moment to destroy it. Integrity is the only thing in life that you can truly own. Every other thing you possess in this world can be taken away from you by force but only you have the power to dispossess yourself of your integrity.
There is so much more that I wish to say to you but you will do well if you accomplish these seven things. Our God will guide you in the rest. I was so very proud the day you were born into this world and I have hoped my entire life that you would grow and prosper and become a better man than me. That would make me prouder even still… so please be a better man than I have been.
With My Most Sincere Love,
A friend of mine dubbed me “The voice of reason in a very unreasonable world” which I am flattered by because I am less than that. Having said that, if you enjoyed my writing I invite you to scroll to the very bottom of this page where there is a button labeled “Follow”. If you press that button you will receive a notification whenever this blog is updated with new posts. Thank you for reading.